2010년 5월 10일 월요일

나물이네에 관한 이야기

Cocooning leads “namooli” to success

 

In 2002, Kim Yong-hwan was single and technically jobless at the age of 32.

He did have a title, a “freelance Web designer and illustrator,” but barely earned 300,000 won ($265) per month. To make things worse, he even became a credit delinquent for card debt.

Kim Yong-hwan, better known as “namooli,” holds up his book on cooking. Courtesy of Kim Yong-hwan
“So I didn’t have much to do but to stay home and occasionally take photos of the food I cooked, using the camera I bought for my illustrating work. I started posting them on my blog and it was fun because people started to leave comments. And before I realized it, I had become more absorbed in posting recipes than earning money,” Kim told The Korea Herald.

Posting recipes, however, led him to money.

People loved his easy-to-follow recipes. Kim’s original measuring system, which he created to help the understanding of those who were not so familiar with cooking terms, was much help.

His nickname, “namooli,” which is a cute way of saying the word “vegetables” in Korean, became familiar among those who live alone. His blog soon became one of Korea’s most popular personal blogs and Kim became a star online and offline, treated like a professional cook.

Of course, his cooking talent was not achieved overnight. He has enjoyed cooking for his friends ever since he started living alone. His friends were his first fans.

“Yes, all my recipes are original. I remember that people didn’t like to reveal their recipes back then. Even if they did, they wanted something big in return. I think my blog started to gain popularity because I opened all my recipes for free, with photos and everything,” Kim said.

After he had posted about a hundred recipes, Kim published his first book titled “Setting the Table with 2,000 won” in 2003 at the request of his fans and publisher.

The book, which targeted those on a tight budget and those who live alone, is still one of the bestsellers in the cookbook sections at bookstores.

Kim has published four more books since then, and all have sold over 1 million copies. There was no doubt he could quit his illustrating jobs and live on royalties, focusing on his blog and publications.

Still single, he is heading for the world with his recipes, though he still sits at home. He recently published a Japanese version of his cookbook and also started posting recipes in English on his blog.

“There have always been requests for translated versions of my books and I am glad it is finally accomplished. I hope to publish more translated versions in the future, in English and Chinese. And I also hope many foreigners will get to know Korean dishes through the English recipes on my blog,” said Kim.

He did not forget to send a message to all those who live alone.

“In order to do anything, being healthy is of primary importance. Eat well and exercise regularly,” he said.

To see Kim’s recipes, visit www.namool.com

By Park Min-young   (claire@heraldm.com)

댓글 1개:

  1. trackback from: claire의 생각
    나물이네에 관한 이야기 Cocooning leads “namooli” to success In 2002, Kim Yong-hwan was single and technically jobless at the age of 32. He did have a title, a..

    답글삭제