2010년 6월 16일 수요일

테오얀센의 바다괴물들

Jansen’s ‘Strandbeests’ stomp into Korea

 

Video clips of weird looking creatures wandering, or sometimes racing, around the delft beach in the Netherlands were a hit on YouTube a few years ago.

The animal-like-creatures, called “Strandbeests,” were created by Dutch artist Theo Jansen who soon rose to stardom and was dubbed the Leonardo Da Vinci of the 21st century.

Jansen studied physics in college but became a painter after graduation. His knowledge of physics, however, did not disappear. He started to make some whimsical gadgets in the 1980s, such as a machine that automatically paints paintings.

In 1990, Jansen made his first Strandbeest called “Animaris Vulgaris.” Made of plastic tubes, nylon strings and rubber bands, Jansen’s works move solely by wind power.

“I sent a flying object up in the air on one cloudy day and it was the talk of town in the Netherlands for three months, mistaken as a UFO,” said the 61-year-old artist at a recent press conference.

Jansen’s works will be on show for the first time in Korea at the exhibition “Theo Jansen -- Animals modular” which starts this weekend at Gwacheon National Science Museum in Gwacheon, Gyeonggi Province.

Theo Jansen and his work “Animaris Umerus” KR Holdings Company
Of 25 Strandbeests Jansen has created, 17 of them, including “Animaris Vulgaris,” and “Animaris Ordis,” which was specially made for a BMW TV commercial, will be on display. The exhibition will also reveal Jansen’s latest piece, “Animaris Umerus,” for the first time.

Visitors will get a chance to see how Jansen’s creatures evolved through time. Though his latest creations still move by wind power, he added some sensors using plastic bottles so that the beasts could automatically change direction when they touch water.

”Like how our body is restricted by protein, which our body is made of, my creatures are restricted by plastic tubes. So I put in efforts to improve its functions and many people, including myself, found the results beautiful,” said Jansen.

“I had promised myself that I would only do the work for a year, but I am still doing it as if it were some kind of a disease. But I am so happy that I caught the disease.”

The United Nations Environment Program is planning to establish a Theo Jansen award in July, as his works usually feature environmental elements such as new energy. Jansen will be the first winner of the prize.

“I’m honored. They also offered me the chance to be the publicity ambassador but I am not sure if I would take it or not because I’m worried I will not be able to concentrate on my work,” said Jansen.

The exhibition runs from Saturday through Oct. 17 at Gwacheon National Science Museum in Gwacheon, Gyeonggi Province. The museum is located near Seoul Grand Park Station on Subway Line No. 4, Exit 5. Tickets range from 4,000 won to 13,000 won. For more information, visit www.theojansen.co.kr.

By Park Min-young   (claire@heraldm.com)

댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기